Who are ‘we’ and why do we need your data?
‘We’ are the Bristol Green Doors team, employed by the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE). CSE is a registered charity (number 298740). Our address is St James Court, St James Parade, Bristol, BS1 3LH. Bristol Green Doors is brought to you by the Centre for Sustainable Energy, commissioned by the Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy.
We only ask for the information that we need to provide our service and we'll ask for your permission before we use it. Once you’ve given us your permission your consent will form the legal basis for us to process your data. You can remove your consent at any time by emailing email@example.com.
We take your data privacy and security very seriously and we want to make it easy for you to understand this policy. If you want more information about this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What types of information do we use?
In order to run Bristol Green Doors we need to collect some information about you. This includes things like:
- Your name and contact details.
- Your email address.
- Your home address.
- Information you provide in the case study for your home including: measures installed and associated costs, your annual energy consumption, details of lifestyle choices you have chosen to share as part of your case study, details of contractors who carried out the work.
- If you have attended a Bristol Green Doors event.
How we use this data
We use this data in a number of ways to run Bristol Green Doors.
Marketing and promoting events:
- If you sign up for our newsletter we send you updates about Bristol Green Doors events and related activities.
- We might use photographs or videos of you taken whilst participating in Bristol Green Doors to promote on our website, in printed materials, and on other websites related to our operation. We will ask for your consent either when capturing the footage or when you sign a householder agreement.
Showcasing Case Studies:
- In order for the website to fulfil its purpose as a library of examples of low carbon home improvements we publish your home case study, with your consent.
- We anonymise your case study – removing names, location and any other identifying data – after 6 months of the event in which you were involved, unless we receive your consent to keep these details available longer. Anonymised case studies are visible for 4 years after they are published, unless you ask us to remove them – you can do this at any time by emailing email@example.com.
Reporting to funders:
- Bristol Green Doors (CSE) has received funding from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. We report to them on things like how many people are attending events. This data is anonymised and can't be used to identify you personally.
Sharing your personal information
In some situations we’ll need to share your information.
- Promotional materials: We will share your case study data on promotional materials and the online and printed event map which is issued in event publicity. We explicitly ask for your consent to do this when you agree to open your home.
- Software companies that we use to provide our online services: We use Drupal to host our website and CiviCRM to store and process your data. Circle Interactive support maintenance of the website and only have access to your data if we request them to make changes to the website on our behalf, a data protection agreement has been signed with them and any data entered onto the systems is kept securely and only accessed by Circle when instructed to by us or when necessary as part of system maintenance and debugging issues that may arise.
- There are a few limited situations in which we might need to share your information without your permission - because we have a legal obligation to do so. When we share your personal information we only share the minimum needed for someone else to carry out the function. So if all they need is your phone number, we’ll only share your phone number. When we pass data on to other organisations we have made sure that they comply with the General Data Protection Regulations (the EU-wide law that specifies how data should be protected).
- Understanding our website through analytics:This is normally anonymous data like your IP address and browsing history and can’t be used to identify you personally. We use Google Analytics for this. You can opt out from Google Analytics tracking via your browser privacy settings or by using a browser add-on.
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer’s hard drive by websites you visit in order to give you a better browsing experience and to collect non-personal data for statistical purposes.
We do not use ’spyware’, that is web bugs or hidden identifiers or other similar devices to gain access to information, store hidden information or to trace your activities. For more information about cookies and instructions on how to adjust your browser settings to accept, delete or reject cookies, see the IAB website at www.allaboutcookies.org.
Separate from the website, we are certified by Cyber Essentials, the Government-backed and industry supported scheme to guide businesses in protecting themselves against cyber threats.
Storing your data
We keep your information securely stored in CiviCRM database, hosted on servers which are in the UK. Some of your information may be stored in our secure email and IT systems. How long we keep your information for depends on what we are using it for:
- Your personal details: If you participate in a Bristol Green Doors event we will keep the information you submitted to us for a maximum of 2 years after the event. At this time we will seek your consent to continue contacting you.
- Your case study: We anonymise your case study – removing names, location and any other identifying data – after 6 months of the event in which you were involved, unless we receive your consent to keep these details available longer. Anonymised case studies are visible for 4 years after they are published, unless you ask us to remove them – you can do this at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re happy to help with any questions about your data
We want it to be easy for you to understand how we are using your data. You’re welcome to contact us at any time with any questions you have. You can email us at email@example.com.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal information we collect from you will be used. This policy might change in the future. If it does change substantially, we’ll update the website and we’ll also contact you to let you know by email.
At any time you can ask us to:
- Tell you what information we have about you.
- Update or correct your information.
- Delete your data.
- Stop using your data in a certain way.
If you ask us to do this, we’ll respond to your request within 30 days and we won’t charge you.
Phone: 0117 934 1400
Post: The Centre for Sustainable Energy
St James Court
St James Parade
Bristol, BS1 3LH
If you aren’t happy with how we have used your data, you can make a complaint. You can also raise your concern with the Information Commissioner's office.